11 May 2020

Staying Alert in the Pokey

Morning my little chickadees

Well apparently were all supposed to stay alert from now on, whatever the feck that's supposed to mean. I think Wales and Scotland have got the right idea. "We're closed so f*** off." Sorry if that offends but lockdown means nothing to some people.

Anyhows, here we go then.


 Day 48 Monday 4th May

And may the force be with you. I’ve never seen the film but there you go.

I woke up early this morning with the sun streaming in through the window and it was a gorgeous sunrise. Brekkie was continental washed down with a cuppa.

Today it was the turn of the kitchen. Next time I get these bright ideas, sit me down and give me a good talking too. I was up to my eyes in muck and spiders from under the stairs.

I took plenty of breaks and lunch was a cornetto ice – I know but I fancied it ok and it was a reward for my efforts. Finally, I sat down at 3.30pm and its still not done. All that tiling to clean and white goods. It’s starting to get that sparkly clean look though.

I was in a steak mood so I cooked a nice rare steak with chilli rice, and washed it down with pink diet lemonade. I am good sometimes and left the wine in the rack.

I suddenly realised I hadn’t changed the bed linen which is a mission in itself. I never get it right and end up with lumps of duvet inside the cover. Finally, after several shakes it was there. I really can’t stand the job, and I was so knackered I went to bed and read kindle till 10.30ish. Nighty night and see you tomorrow.


Day 49 Tuesday 5th May
I awoke at 4.40am for a wee and couldn’t get back to sleep, so I watched the sun rise and listened to the dawn chorus. It was so peaceful considering what is going on all over the world.
I tuned into Webbo at 6am and finally got up just after 7am. I looked at FB and it was the same old same old. Breakfast was another continental brekki, which I’m really getting into on these warm mornings and of course my cuppa.

Around mid morning while having a coffee (I know. I don’t know what came over me drinking coffee) I decided that I would change the lounge around. Next time I get these bright ideas, just tie me to a chair until I come to my senses. I wanted to move my sofa so that I can see out of the back window which overlooks the back garden and watch the birds feeding in the back garden. However to do that I had to move a half moon pouffe, three tall plants in heavy pots, two lamps, a full recliner chair, and a 42” tv on a stand. Put and take had nothing on me. As I moved one piece of furniture it was replaced by something else. Finally I had everything moved by very slow, push and shove method. Then it was the tv on the stand. It was a case of push a bit and then rest. It took me as long to do that, as it did to do the rest of the furniture move. I’m so pleased with the result though and I can now sit on the sofa by the back window and watch all the activity in the garden. 

I finally got the blog to post. I don’t know why it’s such an issue all of a sudden. Well actually yes, it’s everyone working from home I guess. Right? It’s a frigging pain.
Being a glutton for punishment I had a shower and then it was back to the kitchen. It’s cupboard cleaning today. Actually I got side tracked because it’s a grotty job and I ended up taking a drink into the garden in the sun. It’s lovely to feel the warmth of the sun on your face.
Previously I had put a casserole in the crock pot. Pork cubes, chillies, garlic, carrots, green beans, leeks and stock cubes oh and tabasco sauce. I got hungry just thinking of it.
Did I say I successfully moved the fridge and chest freezer. It’s surprising what you can do shuffling items backwards and forwards slowly. 
Lunch was a hit and miss affair. Ok I had strawberries and a pear. No not that sort of pair. Wash your minds out. I’m going to have to change my clientele that read this blog if you’re not careful. Stop giggling in the back row.

I had another go at the kitchen as it got a bit warm outside and it is starting to take shape. Eventually I sat down with a cuppa rosy and stayed there knackered.
5pm I tuned into the government update. It’s still as depressing, so I decided to have an early dinner. The pork casserole was delicious then I settled down with a couple of glasses of wine and watched tv for the rest of night.
I was totally cream crackered after all my exertions during the day so I took my kindle to bed (well it was yawning and looked tired) at just after 9pm and read until late into the night. Nighty night.

Day 50 Wednesday 6th May

I’d set the alarm for 6 am; what’s that all about? But as it was a beautiful morning I got up and sat in the garden with my cuppa. Maybe a bacon sarnie for brekkers today, and a major tidy up in the garden as it’s starting to look neglected.
Brekkie was a bacon and tomato sarnie with a cup of coffee. Hold the phone! Let the cat out! What? I just fancied a change of drink ok? I haven’t had coffee since before I wore baby clothes. Yes it’s that long folks.

It was so lovely to spend the morning in the garden, and the grass even got cut. The shasta daisies are beginning to grow in the lawn again and I’m hoping for a bumper crop this year as it takes on the appearance of a mini meadow. The only trouble is, after a while they do ‘pen and ink’ a bit if you get too close, but that’s the trade off. Pen and ink? That’s cockney rhyming slang. So your lesson for today is …?

Lunch I seriously thought about skipping, but eventually decided on a small salad which I took outside. It’s great to have the option. I sat and planned the changes I’m going to make, so watch this space.

Come late afternoon I went inside for a snooze. My hayfever is worse this year and my eyes are taking a toll. I wonder if it’s anything to do with the current air environment? The crockpot was cooking my dinner for me (Isn’t that kind dontcha think?) so I can take the lazy way out tonight.

So it’s feet up in front of the telly and chill out for the rest of the night. Oh do you want to see a picture of how my hairy legs are doing? Here ya go










Day 51 Thursday 7th May

6.30 am and I’m awake I didn’t make it through the night. Well obviously i made it through the night! I just mean't ... Oh you can work it out ... Doh!
Padded downstairs in the nuddy as it was so early. Well the birds flew off when I opened the door. Now was that the sight of me in the nude or a general call to arms I wonder?

Anyhows I made my cuppa, put my dressing gown on and took it outside. My garden is quite secluded and then had an English come continental brekkie. Don’t ask. I said don’t ask….
Shower and then it’s working in the garden all day. Lots to do and seedlings to pot up. 
I stopped for lunch which was a salad with mussels (protein) and I could do with a few muscles.

I sat in the garden around 5pm after the birds had fed and then watered the garden. I came back to my glass of wine and there's an insect doing the front crawl. Well I gave him the boot and he was last seen drying/dying on the grass. Flipping cheek.

Ham and potato salad for dinner while I caught up on the local news and then it was outside for out 8pm clap for the NHS and key workers. We have a nice crowd now and were quite noisy.

I gave the transplanted herbs another water and then sat back to watch the super moon.


 












Time for beddy byes, nighty night.


Day 52 Friday 8th May

VE day today and I woke at 3.45am on the dot. What’s that all about. I was wide awake and lay there for a couple of hours just listening to the birds and watching the dawn rise. Eventually I fell asleep again around six for an hour. Time to get up and have a cuppa outside. Whilst on a visit to the bathroom I checked out my moustache and roots. Yep don’t go there. It’s a nightmare. I’ve got hairs sprouting out of everywhere. Who knew it was possible even.

It’s 08.54 and I’m just starting to feel peckish. As I’m dressed I’m going to eat outside. Probably bacon and egg tomatoes and toast. It’s lovely eating outside in the sun and watching the wild life scampering about. Mind you I haven’t seen Cyril for a while and there’s that new squirrel hotel I bought for him, full of peanuts and untouched. I bet he’s up in the trees with Cyrileena making whoopee. 

Come the afternoon and I had been lazing in the garden all day. I suddenly heard music across the road and when I looked out the back gate there is an impromptu VE party going on in my neighbours front garden. They had the bunting and all the forties music, so armed with my chair I staked my place outside their gate to social distance and went back for the wine bottle and glass. By the time I got back the gate had been opened so I could still feel part of the group and there was Pimms on offer but I stuck to the wine. My neighbour Bett was in her garden next door, with Jan and Kenny whose gate I sat outside of, which meant we could all see and hear each other while keeping our distance and joining in with Vera Lynn. It was great to catch up as we’re all sheltering. 

Around 6pm I was getting hungry so I popped back home and got a steak on the go with salad. It was a great day and good company to celebrate with.

The evening was spent in my beautiful garden just chilling and watching nature. Pigeons and white collard doves billing and cooing and doing what comes naturally. No tv for me tonight. Just the peace and quiet of the garden. 
See you on the other side folks.

 Right then here’s one of my poems from July 2001, which I wrote when I was in Avoca, where they filmed the series Ballykissangel. I had several pints of Guinness in the pub they did the filming in. I have Irish blood running through my veins on my maternal side.

AVOCA MY LOVE
As I sit in the hills caressed by the trees, I look down on 
Avoca my love
With crocks of gold and legends of old for this is 
Avoca my love.
Through the mists of the morn before day is born I still see 
Avoca my love
Serenity and peace are holding me still in Avoca 
Avoca my lova
Where the waters meet they laugh and sing you're one with 
Avoca my love
The breeze in the trees whisper gently don’t leave Avoca, 
Avoca my love
For embedded in time are roots that are mine in Avoca 
Avoca my love
With a breaking heart you call to me still, come back to 
Avoca my love
Although were apart I leave you my heart ‘til I’m back in 
Avoca my love ©

Laters potaters




2 comments:

cheryl Turtlemoon said...

brilliant! do you walk around with a pad so you know what you have done? i can never seem to remember! Id be useless at this!!!

Author T K Geering said...

Hi Cheryl yes I do take odd notes as I go and then update in evening xx