1 Nov 2018

The Fifth and more

Hello my little chickadees

Well it's been a while but I've discovered another new kid on the block who happens to be a very good writer in my opinion. I've read her book and throughly enjoyed it. I managed to get her into the cave under false pretences. She was quite compliant though when I mentioned the word interview so I hung her from the manacles and you know how the rest works.



Karley Rawlingson


 Hello Karley and thank you for coming. How do you like my victims cave? Personally I’m loving the ambience of victims remains scattered about the floor. It adds that bit of je ne sais quoi don’t you think? 

"It stinks in here of iron and rotten meat. I think I'm going to be sick!"

"Oh hush child it grows on you after a while. Lets just get you attached to the manacles at the back of the cave. It’s nice and quiet there. Once you’ve decided to answer my questions then I’ll feed and water you. Here’s the list. Your arms will soon stretch enough to reach the questionnaire.  Right then I’m off to find my next victim. Scream when you’re done. I won’t hear you but I’ll probably check on you from time to time."

*Victim rattles chains in frustration*

"If the only way to get back home is to answer your questions then so be it!"

Tee acknowledges with a cackle and wave of the hand.

So then Karley please introduce yourself to my friends

I'm Karley Rawlingson and I grew up in Ashford, Kent but I've lived in Upminster, Essex for the last twelve years. Upminster is a lovely place to live and I feel very lucky to say it’s my home. I often feel, I have the best of both worlds. Upminster is the last stop on the district line which means it’s only a quick train ride into London if, I want to see a show or do some shopping. Then on the other hand, woods, grasslands and beautiful countryside is in my back yard. 

Q You’re married with two children, tell me about them 




I met my husband Tony when I was sixteen and we have been together for seventeen years. We married in July 2011 and have two beautiful children. Tjay is fourteen and Demi is twelve. 
I often wonder how I got gifted with such a wonder life. Tony is a hard worker and my rock. He has always been my biggest supporter and encouraged me to follow my dreams. Both my children are beautiful inside and out, even if I am biased. Tjay is a typical teenager, he loves hanging out with his friends, playing on his computer and food! He likes to play the piano and is currently studying for his grade one exam. Tjay has a fantastic work ethic and often goes to work with his dad to earn some extra cash. Demi is equally hard working but all of her passion goes into dancing. Demi dances at least three times a week and it has given her, not only confidence but an amazing group of friends. Demi loves school and has a joy for life. Her smile is infectious and I love that she is pretty much willing to give anything a try.  

 Q Have you any pets

I have two cats; Bumblebee and Rosie. Both are black but Bumblebee has white patches on his feet that look like he has little socks on. They are brother and sister and are nine years old.  
I also have a dog; Ralph and three fish in the pond, in the garden. There were more but unfortunately, we had a pump malfunction and quite a few died. Ralph is a Jackapoo and my shadow. I fell in love with him the moment I saw him and can honestly say I think he feels the same. On the day we went to meet the breeder and pick a puppy, he saw me, and started howling this tiny-squeaky-little howl as if to say “Hi Mum”. He was the only one to make any noise and tried getting out of his cage. I knew then and there he was coming home with us.   

Ralph
  

Q Favourite: drink/food/hot/cold

Omg why are you asking me about food and drink, when you haven't given me anything to eat in days. I swear, I can almost smell the coffee. 

* Cries out for help *

Hovering outside by now Tee enters and cracks the whip against Karley’s manacles. “Stop whinging that won’t get you food.”

Okay. My favourite drink is a toffee latte with cream and toffee sauce. I love food and I'm willing to give most things a try at least once. My favourite dinner at the moment is grilled chicken, couscous and a tomato, cucumber, spring onion and crabstick salad with balsamic vinegar glaze. 

*Belly grumbles*

“Here chew on this rotten finger. Oh wait you can't you're strung up. Never mind, get over it.”

What encouraged you to enter the writing world.

I've wanted to write for a long time but never had the confidence. I left school without finishing and had no G.C.S.E’s. Instead I focused on hairdressing. Then I met Tony, moved and got a job in a clothes shop. When Tjay started primary school, I went back to college to study, and gained qualifications in level 3 hairdressing and a B in English and maths. However, no matter how hard I tried and for all the hard work I'd put in at college, something was missing. A few years later whilst on holiday, I spoke to Tony about my fears. He told me that he would support me in whatever I wanted to do as long as I was happy. It still took me a while to actually figure it out. One night I dreamt of someone called Sadie, and heard her calling to me, telling me her story. The following day I picked up a pen... I haven't looked back since.  

Q Are you regimented when you write

I try to be but working from home with two children, a husband and a number of animals can be difficult. 

Q What genre do you write in

Science fiction, Fantasy 

Q Tell us about your typical day

A normal weekday is usually quite chilled. Everyone is up and out the door by 8.30am, leaving just the animals and me. I talk to my sister-in-law until 9 then have some breakfast. I will then do some writing unless I have a hair-client (I love writing but it doesn’t pay the bills). I do take time to speak to my Nan every day; she lives on her own and I hate the thought of her being lonely. Kids are home by 4.30pm and Tony is back by 6-7pm. Dinner, bath and if we have time, maybe a little board game with the kids before bed. Ready to do it all again tomorrow.

What do you do to relax

Its got to be watching a movie, reading a book or goofing about with the kids.

  Q Tell us about the book you have written 

The Fifth is a sci-fi, fantasy book. It is about a girl called Sadie McNeil and the end of the world, as we know it.  

Q Your book is self published I understand. Do you find it difficult to promote and what outlets do you use

Self-publishing is hard and of course, I would love a publisher to pick me up and help, in my journey to become a successful author. But promoting is harder and definitely a challenge. I have never been one for social media and my son is far more computer literate than I am. So, I’ve had to teach myself a lot of new things, but I'm getting there. Facebook, Instagram and Amazon (@KDRawlingson) are great platforms to use but again I'm still working at getting the best out of them. I have designed a website  https://karleyrawlingson.wixsite.com/kdrawlingson

Q Is your book to be part of a series

Yes, the next book is due out next year and is called Powers.  

Q Can you give us a taster of the book, (perhaps the back of the book blurb)


 A“Legend has it that the world was created in 7 days. I don`t know if that`s true or not but what I do know is that it only took 7 days for everything to go to shit and the world to end as we know it!” 

Born into poverty, controlled by drug-fuelled parents, Sadie McNeil has had a hard life. On the cusp of adulthood, tragedy strikes, leaving both Sadie and her older brother Sol orphaned. When Sol moves thousands of miles away for a job offer, alone and miserable Sadie believes this is the lowest life will ever get. On a rare night out celebrating her eighteenth birthday everything changes, and in the blink of an eye, she meets Ryan. He's everything she's not. In fact he’s her polar opposite. And everything she didn’t know she was looking for.
For Seven long years, things could not be more perfect for Sadie or more normal.   
When an unprecedented earthquake happens halfway across the world, Sadie believes it to be nothing more than Mother Nature at its worst. Bad yes, but something the world could recover from.
However, forces far bigger than she could ever imagine are at play and unbeknown to her she is stuck right in the middle… 



Q Anything else that you would like to add 

Writing has become more than just a hobby to me, it has become a love. The Fifth  (Sadie’s story) is real and honest. It is dark at times and is fraught with hardship. Can Sadie get through it? How would you handle it if, it was you? 

I’d like to say thanks to Tee for the interview but I'm hungry and thirsty. My wrists are red raw from dangling so I will just say… Please can I go home now? The Darkness Is Coming...

"My god, there are so many wimps out there…"

Sighs dramatically whilst undoing the manacles, allowing her to drop to floor on the rotten bits of flesh…. Offers a rancid finger to chew on to stave off her hunger. It's refused as Karley holds hand over mouth and hurtles outside.

"Some people are never grateful and you can clear that mess up before you go, I have a cleanliness routine that I maintain at the entrance. What ever would my next victim think?"
  

 Links to book
http://amzn.eu/d/feA1qk1http://amzn.eu/d/feA1qk1
























So there you have it my friends. Check out The Fifth, it's worth a read. Thank you Karley for the interview. Please come again.... Ha Ha Ha....

Laters Potaters



No comments: