10 Nov 2018

And then there's megalodon sharks

Well my little chickadees how are you all? I'm not really interested I just felt I ought to ask. Don't think I can't see you with your fingers sticking up at the back.

From time to time in the past, I have interviewed film stars and film directors and that sets the scene for my guest in the cave this week. No, he's not Paul Rudd the film star, he's the author and a friend of mine.

I'm going to introduce a new instrument of torture by the way that I picked it up when I visited a prison in the States (as you do) I must admit I had a hell of a time getting it shipped over. It cost me a fortune so I hope he likes it. It's a bit old fashioned but it works a treat. Well put it this way I certainly get the victims attention when their mind wanders.



So Paul, pop your picture up so we can get a look at you. Ew yuk!!

Paul Rudd

You're inside a shark's mouth, I should have expected something like that. So then, welcome to my 5 star state of the art, victim cave. It has a certain ambience don’t you think? 

Ambience! I’m more worried about the chair you’re telling me to sit in. What’s with all the straps and constraints? 


Just trying to make you feel at home, Paul! 

Well, in that case, Tee. Hook me up buttercup!

Will you introduce yourself please?

My name is Paul Rudd. And, before you ask, I have never met Captain America, and had nothing to do with that incident in Berlin! 



Q Tell me about Paul Rudd the author then and his family as opposed to the film star

I have been with my wonderful partner for 18 years, the mother to my two beautiful children, Alyssa (9) and Lewis (7). We live in Essex. I’ve been writing for the best part of 11 years. I’m an avid Liverpool fan, I love movies and music.

Q So you’ve been writing books for quite a while now Paul; tell me about them and what made you choose the horror of sharks. Oh wait, I bet you saw Jaws? Go on admit to it !

Now it makes sense why I am strapped to this leather chair, and plugged up to all of these wires. You’re reading my mind! 

I’ve written six books and added some short stories to a couple of anthologies. 

With regards to Sharc, it is the adage… 

“I watched the movie Jaws…” 

So, from the age of eight, or nine, I had three barrels in me (thanks Quint!). It just took me twenty five years to realise why the barrels were still in me. The movie is what hooked me, but I decided to write about the Megalodon because of one book - Meg. 



This is the actual book I bought in 1997!

“But that’s like a whole other century!” 

Yep, I’m that old, kids! 

Tee: No argument from me shark man.

MEG was awesome! Aside from the Lord of the Rings, the Meg was the only other book that made me think, wow! And the best thing is, after twenty odd years, this summer it was brought to the big screen, with Jason Statham, and the movie was awesome. 

My other books are Sharc Bait, a follow on from Sharc. You have more Megalodon, more deaths, and a city that floats on the sea, called the ARC.

Tee: Yep I read Sharc and it scared the bejeebers out of me and that's why you're in that chair and I'm not. They say revenge is best served cold.
 



Shark Spawn, is Sharks in Space! And I am happy to say, nobody has done it before, not even the Asylum, so I’m taking this moment to say “I did it first, folks!” 



Wild Wild Dead is a zombie western, with a twist.  


Ningen is a science fiction story based on the Ningen.



London Warriors is my Fellowship of the Ring.


It’s basically Escape from New York, mixed with The Warriors, and a s*** storm that runs rampant across London. Ahhhhh, what’s with the electric shock… 

Tee – I don’t like swearing in my cave. Unless you want to end up as one of the rotting corpses, I suggest you not swear again. I have my standards to keep up.

Well that explains the smell! Sure thing, Tee, sorry about that. Where was I? Oh yeah, London Warriors. It’s my favourite book that I’ve written so far and the first in a proposed trilogy.

Tee - Yeah I remember reading and editing that one. I had many sleepless nights. Take that!

Ahhhhh that actually brought tears to my eyes Tee.

Tee - laughs heinously "job done then" 

You really are a cruel woman. Where was I? Oh yes, all my books are available on Kindle, Paperback and some on Audible. 

Q What’s your favourite pastime

Watching movies! It is a great way to unwind, and research for books. I like to take onboard how the cinematic universe is evolving, and how my stories can evolve at the same time - (at least that’s what I tell the Missus). 

Twenty years ago you only had a few blockbusters out a year. Nowadays there are so many films released it is hard to keep track of them all, so I merely stick to the ones I know I’m gonna like. Now and again you come across a few surprises, which is always nice.

Q Favourite drink/food/hot cold

A nice cuppa! And I love Spag bol, love it.

Q Tell me about the publishing house you and C Reg Jones started.

Ah, my partner in crime! As you already know Tee, Reggie is a top, top man. We’ve know each other as long as you and I have been friends. The Welsh Wonder is always positive about life, he plays the drums a bit too, and he is an excellent author, I love his stories, the realism, (he paid me to say this by the way. The cheque is in the post, apparently).

Tee - I wouldn't hold your breath sunshine. I've been friends with the little Welsh lamb chop as long as you have.

Ravenous Roadkill is our little side project. As most of our author group are aware, we’ve all been a part of a publishing house that has had to close down at one time or another. It’s unfortunate for everybody when that happens. 

Reggie and I decided to open Ravenous Roadkill to keep our dream alive. It’s a small project, just a few paperbacks, and our audiobooks.


 We have also published on Kindle through Rod Glenn at Wild Wolf Publishing. Rod did us a massive favour and we can’t thank him enough. Have you met Rod? He’s is a real life actor! Not that I’m name dropping today. 

Q Do you prefer self publishing or a publishing house

Self-publishing is difficult to juggle. I find the promotion hard to keep on top of. I honestly think if I had the time to continually promote Ravenous Roadkill’s books, our sales would increase significantly. Reg and I have both written some cracking stories, it’s just getting the public to realise that we’re not half bad at this writing malarkey.

Q What brings in the coffers on a day to day basis

I’m a debt collector 


No! Not that type of collector. I’m a barristers’ clerk, and I chase money for my members of chambers. Kerching! Wait, have you got any air freshener? It’s kicking up a bit in here.

Tee - What's air freshener? Does it come in rancid smells. Oh wait I did see that once. Nope it's meant to smell this way. Ode of rotting flesh.

Anyway, my day job. I’ve been clerking since 1992… 

“there he goes again with this other century BS”. 

One day I found out that I am pretty good at my job, so I kept going. One day it will pay the bills!

Q You’ve been given a chance to have the holiday of a lifetime with all expenses paid. Where would you go and why

I’d love to visit Hawaii. It looks like a fascinating place to visit. Sharc is based off the Hawaii coastline, so I’d love to visit what inspired me to use the area in my book. Plus Jurassic Park was filmed there and apparently there is a game called Jumanji that you can play when you visit. If you look up Nigel Billingsley, he’s happy to help you out, and the game looks fun. Just watch out for those Hippos!

Q Have you any pets

Not unless kids count?

Q What decided you on the style of book covers you use

I’ll admit, I’m a difficult sod, and a fussy f***** … ahhhh there you go again with the shocks! I’m also a hands’ on kind of guy and my dear friend, Poppet, always has a task when it comes to putting my covers together. She always tells me it’s a challenge, and she is a smashing cover designer. I can’t fault any of them. 

She’s done me so many favours over the years, sometimes you forget how much time covers can take to put together. So thanks, Poppet. You’re



Q Have you any books due to be published? If so can you tell us about them and maybe give us a taster

Frankenshark! Wait, are you laughing at me!  Yep, I’ve gone down the Asylum route of dodgy shark book titles, but I couldn’t think of anything better to describe the story. I’m about ¾ of the way through, and I hope to have it finished by the end of the year. It’s a crazy story but will be so cool when it comes together. The cover looks wicked. 

London Warriors 2, that’s not the final name. It gets dark, bloody and even more f***** up than the first book. The first book was such a good story I had to carry it on. If it does well I’ll do a final part.

Maybe Sharc 3! I’ve started it, so I may as well finish it. I just need the time, and the right story for it to continue.

I’m also working towards a full novel version of a short story, the Twelfth day of Christmas. The short is being included in an anthology coming out this Christmas, called – Another Bloody Christmas. It’s based in the 80’s and takes the reader on a retro jaunt to their youth. The story was described to me as, Jumanji, meets Stranger Things, mixed with Vampire Nation. It’s a weird tale, but came from the heart. And I think it would be a big hit if I finish it. The title will change.


Q If Sharc was turned into a film, who would you choose to play the MC 

That’s a tough one. With Meg already out there, I think Sharc would be left dead in the water to be honest. It’s a shame but, if we’re talking a Sky One mini-series, I think it would definitely work. 

There are quite a few main characters in the Sharc saga but I’d go with the following.

Morgan Read is British, so perhaps James McAvoy, or Andrew Lincoln. They would both smash it.





Cole Michaels is Morgan’s best friend, and I’d say Charlie Hunnam, from Sons of Anarchy and Pacific Rim. I based the character on the late Paul Walker, he would be the ideal actor for the part, and it was such a shame when he died so young. Or even Ryan Reynolds, he’s quality.



The female leads are Lauren Ramsey and Kimberley Clarke. Lauren is an action journalist, and it would have to be between the beautiful lasses, Blake Lively, and Margot Robbie. They are both fantastic actors, but after watching her in the Shallows, I think Blake would win that tussle. OR maybe I’m just crushing on them! You can’t blame me though. 





The second lead female character is Kimberley Clarke. She’s an expert diver, who takes no ****. The part is made for Lili Simmons. I’ve been a massive fan since she starred in Banshee. She’s been in Hawaii Five-O, True Detective, and the Purge Series. She’s awesome and she would rock the part, I know it.


Now if you asked me about London Warriors, and the entire ensemble of anti-heroes, that would be another story. It would be the expendables, meets Lord of the Rings, with enough machismo to scare even the 80’s action movies stars.


Well that’s all I got, Tee. Thanks for having me over. Now if you wouldn’t mind untying these binds, the stench is really starting to make me feel nauseous. No! Why not? Wait, why are you looking at that switch? Oh sh…… 



 And then he was gone. He didn't even say good bye.....


Links:

Twitter:  
https://twitter.com/Sharcwriterhttps://twitter.com/Sharcwriter

Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/theauthorpaulrudd/https://www.facebook.com/theauthorpaulrudd/

Trailers to Ravenous Roadkill 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsqGC7IYsBF8lFya6d-0brwhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsqGC7I

So there you have him my little chickadees or in this case, no you don't. The chair suited it's purpose though. I think I might use it again.

Laters potaters





1 comment:

R.R.Jones said...

Quality my dear friends, sheer quality.x