9 Mar 2024

I finally get interviewed ... by .....

 

Hello my little chickadees,

It's been far too long since I last wrote a blog. I know! What can I say? I've been busy, busy, busy. 

I thought I'd done with the Whitechapel Murders as a stand alone, but I was asked time and again for a sequel, so I've been working on that. Lots more research to do, as I'm taking it in a slightly different direction, which in turn will make for a far bigger word count, which will please my readers. One in particular. A member of the UKCBC who resides in the USA. The link to my page, where you can view Whitechapel, along with all my other books is at the end of the interview... 

For the last 8 years I've been a member of the UK Crime Book Club. It has 27.3k members and I'm now one of the admins, so that takes up quite a bit of my time. If you're interested in reading crime and enjoy live interviews with the authors, or offline for those that are a bit camera shy, pop along to their facebook page and knock on the door.

I little while ago I put a request out for someone to interview me, as I hadn't been interviewed outside of the UKCBC since, forever. Everyone seemed to be so busy and nothing happened so ... I thought I'd get my alter ego TeeGee to interview me and it went like this. Why do you think they call me Mad Tee?


T K Geering: It's very kind of you to take time out of your very busy schedule to interview me.


TeeGee: It's a pleasure TK. So tell me all about yourself. 


T K Geering: I was born and bred in Hastings, Sussex. I loved living by the sea and spent many a happy hour, standing on the harbour wall, allowing the sea to do it's worst. My parents despaired, but I loved it. Back then I had quite long hair, which blew everywhere. I lived in tight jeans, a long 'beatnik' jumper, frequently no shoes and the soles of my feet were like leather, and I thought I looked pretty cool back then. I was in a rebellious stage, as I had passed a scholarship and was being educated in a catholic convent/college by Irish nuns. As you can imagine, there was an extremely strict uniform rule, winter and summer. White gloves were compulsory at all times in the summer when we left the confines of the college, and there were snitches around to report any offenders. Nuns, checked over each of us daily, before we left and detentions were thrown about with exceptional ease, if you didn't have the gloves, hat and correct footwear. The nuns had very high standards and we had to uphold them. Out of college was a different matter, hence the rebellion. 

My claim to fame, is that my great grandfather was a founder member of the world famous, Winkle Club of which the royal family, endless dignitaries and showbiz personalities are members, but also, one of my ancestors was the Guestling Murdress, or Murdering Mother, 1800-1849. Oh yes! but that's a story for another day. These days I reside quietly in Kent, the garden of England. Although, some parts of it are starting to become more of a concrete jungle. - 'Oh, there's a green space, let's put a few flats in there'. (eye rolls)

 

When the weather is warmer, I write in my summerhouse, or sit on its wide veranda, watching the sun go down with a glass of wine. My beautiful, part Siamese, part moggy cat of 23 years, died many years ago and is buried in the garden with another family cat. I often feel him around me when I’m in the garden or writing. So these days I have an "It's not my cat!" who pops in and out when the urge takes him. There's also a randy, renegade squirrel called Cyril, who fights the birds for their food, when he's not making yet another family in the surrounding trees. I thought the endless pigeons, mating in the garden and on my fence were bad enough, but he beats them claws down. Scheesh. I also love pottering in the garden, just to see what the wildlife have been up to. It’s just wonderful to be amongst nature. 

Hobbies, well writing of course, but I love to beach combe and I’m a bit of a conchologist. I made a jewellery box from bits and bobs found on the local beach. I love pottering in the garden and I've recently been checking it out after our winter has taken its long toll. There's a lot to be done, but I have friends who like to come and help out.

TeeGee: It sounds idyllic TK. So when did your writing journey start? 


T K Geering: It began  whilst I was sitting in my garden, on midsummer's eve back in 2011. I got an idea for a story revolving around fantasy. From that small idea, Erasmus, the time travelling lover with attitude was born. Here's a bit of the blurb ... Whilst sitting in his warm cave, he peered into his wood fire and saw an image of a beautiful woman. She was living in a different time frame and he decided to travel through time to meet her. So begins a new life for him as he travels back and forth through time... It ended up as a trilogy at the time with an element of unexpected crime, but has now evolved into one book called Soulfate. Since then I have gone on to write many books, the latest being the Whitechapel Murders, which was received very well. I have also written many, many, short stories, some of which are published in the UKCBC short story section.


TeeGee: So how did you find your publisher?


T K Geering: Back then in 2011, I made use of the writers and artists year book and submitted to every publisher that I could find and ... I ended up with a drawer full of rejections, which I've still got! However I had faith in the book and refused to give up. I joined a group called Struggling Authors, initially started by Richard Grayling. His idea was to help struggling authors where he could and eventually I met many authors in the same situation as me, several of whom, I'm facebook friends with to this day. Richard was also a struggling author, but he put his writing to one side, to mentor me and for that I will be eternally grateful. He asked me to interview a publisher, who unbeknown to me had read the various chapters I had put up on Authonomy. Long story short, he asked to publish the book through his publishing house, Taylor Street Publishers in San Francisco. It went from strength to strength and got to #3 on Amazon in it's category. We eventually parted  company and I'm now with Wild Wolf Publishing. I couldn't be happier.


TeeGee: Where do you get your inspiration from, for your books?


T K Geering:  Basically I’m a people watcher and regardless of where I am, I’m eyeing up prospective characters. (I always prefer to sit facing a door.) That couple in the pub sitting so close, are they conducting an illicite affair? Is he/she planning to murder the other? My friends have got used to it now, but they enlighten their own friends they introduce me to, that they could end up in one of my books. I have that wandering eye I guess.

TeeGee: How many books have you written?

T K Geering: Well Soulfate is a trilogy of the Erasmus stories, but nine in total, with a couple of WIP’s lurking on the laptop in folders. I have written endless short stories, which one day, I might approach my current publisher to put out there. 

TeeGee: Are you a plotter or a pantser? And do you have a writing routine?

T K Geering: Well I start out as a plotter and then get a bit bored and want to start writing the story. So I guess I’m more of a pantser really. However, I’m permanently unprepared, when I have to stop writing to check on a research matter and as many authors will tell you, this leads you on a long journey of …”Oh that looks interesting. I wonder what that’s all about” and you find that an hour later you have gone down a completely different route with research, but it’s fun and informative. As for a routine, well when I’m writing everything gets ignored. Spiders spin webs to their hearts content and laugh at me. I stop to eat, drink, think and plot. Most of all, I love it when the characters hijack the story and I just sit back and watch where they take it to. Sometimes there is a fair bit of deletion going on, but overall I give them their head just out of curiosity.

 

TeeGee:  Favourite food/drink?

T K Geering: Mmmm Ribeye Steak with all the usuals, or even with just a salad, but of course red wine to accompany. Favourite non alcoholic drink? A cup of tea usually, but also a coffee of any type, black or white. 

TeeGee: Have you any WIP at the moment, or anything due to be/recently published? 

T K Geering: I do have two WIP’s at the moment. One is a prequel to the Erasmus series as stated above, which I WILL finish one day. The other is about a police assassin, which is totally out of my comfort zone but I’m determined to finish it. Both are several chapters in. Recently published is The Whitechapel Murders. A story set in Victorian London dealing with body snatchers, dubious street vendors and an inspector that is trying to solve the Jack the Ripper murders. It seems to be selling well at the moment so that is pleasing. As stated above, I'm writing the sequel at the moment and yes ... I will finish it as soon as I can, I promise!

TeeGee: Why have you chosen to write fantasy and crime?

T K Geering: Actually I didn't choose to write fantasy, it seemed to choose me. I'm a great believer of faeries and the little people ... and I can hear you laughing, right at the back there. I'm told my garden has an ethereal feel about it. That's why I enjoy writing out there, especially in the summer and it's where most of my inspiration comes from. - Not necessarily from the bottom of a bottle, even though it relaxes me and allows the characters a bit of leeway to do their own thing if they want to. As for crime, well that's down to 27 years working as a volunteer for my local police force, helping to train officers through role play etcetera, which is well documented in other conversations I've had. I have so many, many, stories secreted away in the recess of my mind. Probably unbelievable to some, but I was there and saw it.

TeeGee: Why do you chose to interview other authors?

T K Geering: Good question. When I first started on my writing journey, I was given a helping hand as stated above. There are many novice authors out there, that have written exceptional books, but never been given an opportunity to be published. Many give up and self publish, but I like to pay on my good fortune.

TeeGee: Any other interviews coming up?

T K Geering: Not that I'm aware of. Ironically I always seem to be an interviewer as opposed to an interviewee. So I'm totally indebted to you for the interview. 

TeeGee: You're welcome.

Here is a link to T K Geering's author page 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=t+k+geering&i=digital-text&crid=3NHKZNB6YZ9ZB&sprefix=T+K+Geer%2Cdigital-text%2C84&ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_8



 

 

 






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fascinating read. So interesting. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I’m pleased you enjoyed it Jane x